Chess Club is offered year round at Kent Gardens, with a fall registration and a spring registration.
Registration for the fall 2018 season closes September 24.
|Where?||Chess club meets in the Kent Gardens School Cafeteria.|
|When?||Wednesdays after school 3:45 – 5:15 PM. The fall session starts Wednesday, September 26th and ends Wednesday, January 23, 2019. Please note that we are unable to schedule make-up sessions due to unscheduled school closings.|
|Who can join?||Any Kent Gardens student in 2nd through 6th grades. Girls! Boys! New and experienced players!|
|Who will teach?||Mr. David Mehler from the U.S. Chess Center will teach the club, organize games, and provide small group instruction to players of all experience levels.|
|What will we do?||Mostly we will play chess. In addition, members will receive instruction in rules and strategy of chess in small groups.|
|How do I join?||Register here. The fee for the fall 2018 session is $140 per child. No refunds after the first class.|
|Help needed!||Chess Club is a very successful and popular program at Kent Gardens. Parent volunteers are needed!|
|Questions||Cara Cline-Thomas (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Cambra Donelson (email@example.com)|
Why Play Chess?
Chess is great mental exercise for children…
- First of all…Chess is fun!
- Chess involves multi-level critical thinking.
- Chess requires forethought and cultivates visualization skills.
- Chess improves problem-solving skills.
- Chess encourages children to overcome the fear of risk-taking.
- Chess teaches concentration and self-discipline.
- Chess enables children to assume responsibility for their decisions.
- Chess rewards determination and perseverance.
- Chess promotes good sportsmanship.
- Chess encourages socialization skills that extend across cultures and generations.
* The U.S. Chess Center provides all chess instruction; however, parent volunteers are needed to assist in supervising the children. Parents do not need chess experience to help on Wednesdays from 3:45 – 5:15 pm. You will be emailed a schedule with your specific dates to volunteer.
**If child is picked up, they will await in the building, not at kiss and ride. Parents, guardians and caregivers are required to sign-out.